Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Number Eight

A year ago...I wrote this:


As I walk to the edge
I release--the grasp
of my hands.
Bleeding.
Again on the past in
a memory.
Which lives between here
and there.
Have a faltered?
Have I died?
I paint the canvas--
Red--to cover the sin.
I cry--
Tears: a cascade that mars
my face,
and now, I drown.
It's over now, yet
I can't smile a grin--so
I lift my head--up--
towards the
moon, and still
it burns.
Then I find myself again.
--
As I walk to the edge.

Everyone thought it was referring to suicide, which I honestly hadn't realized until someone mentioned it to me.


It was just suppose to be about life and taking chances. Also, I think there was something personal that sparked the idea, but I can't remember what it is now. Humph.


I had forgotten that I had written this, until I decided to ruffle through some paperwork. I stumbled across this and a comment from my Writing 2010 teacher in my "blue book," she wrote (and I quote), "Good work, Nathan you have a really engaging voice and a flair for language. I hope you keep writing."

This year I think more than ever, I realized how much I really do love writing, but I found that the work I produced this year; wasn't as compelling as I think it could have been. 

I'm definitely working on that this next year. 

I can't wait!

No comments: