Thursday, December 29, 2011

I'm coming...out

It's interesting seeing people in this world. The media, the crazies, the cool kids, T.V., radio, etc. They all tell us to be "who we are" and just live the way we were "born."

The "Born This Way" antics never seem far-fetched, yet why it is it I still see people in the world living, afraid of who they truly are. I found as I pondered this idea, that I, I who have dedicated a chunk of my life to equality and understanding, am part of this problem. Not only in my own life but in the lives of many others.

I have a voice. We all do, but I find that for me, personally, I don't use it as often as perhaps I should.

I found that when I "came-out", my life didn't change. It's easily described as shock. I was in shock. Now, that I had declared my liberation for a jail sentence that seemed indefinite. I was free, but I didn't feel free. It wasn't at all as I expected. I don't think it ever is.

The burden that was lifted from my shoulders was certainly a relief, but within me still lived something that was missing. I came to find that my life was not something that could change rapidly. It is a process. A process, not I, nor anyone else can progress in a quick manner (although I wish it was) it's not. It is in the process we find that our lives change, for the better, brighter, and more authentic versions of our "born this way" selves.

I believe this process happens for everyone. Gay, straight, bi, transgender (life). No matter who you are; at some point you must wake up and (as I say) become conscious of your life. For it is once you reach that state of consciousness that your "process" begins. Sometimes it comes sooner in life, and sometimes it comes later. Whenever you're ready. It will come, but until then, we should all dedicate ourselves to being okay, with people being who they are.

Allow them to experience their own process. Live and let [others] live.

It's time to finally be...whoever we choose to be.


No comments: