Monday, July 30, 2012

Secret Guilty Pleasures

As I sit here in my room writing this post I think of our guilty pleasures. I mean, everyone has them, but I don't think we realize they exist in our lives until prompted with the idea that they do exist within us. So, I'm taking it upon myself to write this in the utmost honest importance of telling everyone my secret pleasure, in hope that you'll look at your life and find those secrets which make up your happiness, but first...

Yikes. I must digress to tell you my absolute epiphany for publishing such a revealing secret which may leave me scarred, and ultimately vulnerable.  I find that I think far too much. My brain is constantly in overload. I've come to a point in my life where, for the most part, I can control the outrageous frenzy which exists in my cerebral interior. Sometimes such thoughts bring me to a sad place. I'm never really sure why, and I never really know when it happens (because it doesn't happen often), but when this does happen I've found that only one thing makes me feel better...

Dance.

:) It's true. I just pop my ear buds in and pump up the dial on my iPod to an awful decibel and dance (probably more like prance) around my room. In no time a smile appears on my face, and I've found that's because all my thoughts, the ones that roam rambunctiously in my head. They disappear, and for a moment they don't exist. It's me and the music. That's it.

A wise man once told me: "It's amazing what dancing naked in the mirror to 'Be Italian' from the musical Nine, will do for your self-esteem."

It was that wisdom which started my entire venture to begin prancing around my room. Although my self-esteem doesn't receive a boost, and I don't do it naked; the essence of the advice has forever changed my life.

Tonight was one of my dancing nights. 

So I say indulge in your greatest guilty pleasures, because life will get you down. Whether it's just for a moment, a minute, an hour, days or weeks, or perhaps you're one of those lucky few who has life beating you like an egg in a cake mixture every single day. Take a moment to steal that extra scoop of fudge swirl ice cream, or run those five miles on the treadmill, or perhaps it's something less tedious like reveling in a great novel or drawing the great horizon.

Whatever it may be: love it, may you genuinely smile while enjoying it, and may it rejuvenate you to continue your dance with life.



Song of Choice: Pretty Girl Rock by Keri Hilson

No comments: